Honest & Open or Secretly Searching



I recently had an interesting conversation about three ways and open relationships, which prompted this blog post. Having done it all myself, I have been the outsider in a group thing and been in a couple that explored some extra-curricular action. My relationship did not end as a result, though there was some jealousy that happened when we played separately, ultimately ending the extra play.

Certainly this is not always the case, and there is no rule that says a committed couple cannot explore alternative sexual outlets. But I just wondered whether they were really comfortable in their relationship, or seeking an alternate relationship.

Recently, while experiencing down-time at work, I began searching for a different job, which would be new and exciting. I knew what to expect with my current job, and I really enjoyed the people I worked with, but I was not stimulated by the position anymore, and ultimately decided to explore other work options.

I'm not saying that a relationship is like a job, but it certainly takes work to make a relationship last, and most relationships do not make it past the five year mark. It is possible then, that in order to "spice up" your sex life, you would search for something more exciting and unknown, in another partner. The problem arises though, when one partner finds that the excitement is much more stimulating than the current relationship, which has lost its appeal.

The question becomes, can your relationship handle the extra baggage that comes from having sex outside your relationship? And that is something that only you can answer!

No comments: